Detox is short for detoxification which is the body’s natural, ongoing process of eliminating toxins from the body. Toxins can be anything that can be potentially harmful to the body. Toxic overload is typically caused by an improper diet, stress, overeating, sedentary lifestyle, illness, and poor health habits in general. When the accumulation of toxins in the body leads to disease, the body has developed what is known as toxemia.
There are many man-made toxins that we are exposed to in our environment, food, and water every single day. Generally, the body will cleanse itself sufficiently, but repeated exposure to environmental toxins, chemically based products and processed foods will interfere with the body’s regular cleansing function.
A wide variety of detoxification methods can be used in order to activate the body’s self-cleaning function. An extremely influential and often missed element of keeping the body clean and healthy is prevention — establishing a way of living that as much as possible limits your exposure to toxins. The liver, intestines, kidneys, lungs, skin, blood and lymphatic systems work together to ensure that toxins are transformed chemically to less harmful compounds and excreted from the body.
Here are some CHEAP, EASY, and FUN tips for Detoxing:
- First thing in the morning on an empty stomach, drink one cup of hot filtered water with 1/4 lemon (organic) and 2 pinches of cayenne pepper.
- Dry brush massage your entire body before you get into the shower/bath. Use a circular motion and of course, work towards your heart.
- Take a shower or bath. This facilitates circulation and toxic elimination through your skin (which is the largest organ on the body).
- When taking a bath, use epsom salt to aid in relaxing and soothing your body and mind. This is also a good way to get a good nights sleep because, epsom salts contain magnesium which has to proven to aid in detoxing and sleeping. 15-20 mins should be enough to induce a restful nights sleep.
- Turn your shower into your own hydrotherapy by alternating between hot and cold water. This also stimulates circulation and your immune system function. This is very invigorating!!! You will feel amazing when you are done.
- Try and enjoy this experience and only then, share with those you love :-)